Windows XP - Remove Recovery Console Restrictions
Remove Recovery Console (accessed via XP install CD) Restrictions.
This is done from within the XP operating system:
XP Pro (only)
- : Run » secpol.msc
- Left-pane: Double-click "Local Policies".
- Left-pane again: Click "Security Options".
- Rght-pane: Double-click "Recovery Console: Allow Floppy Copy And Access To All Drives And Folders".
- Click the radio-button "Enabled".
- Click 'Ok'.
Change one 'Registery' value to allow access to various additional options while in 'Recovery' DOS mode achieved via Windows installation CD booting of computer.
- Run » regedit
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole\
- "SetCommand". Put a value of 1.
Having booted from the XP installation CD, and now being in the 'Recovery Console',
Allow access to all files and folders on the main system. In the Recovery Console prompt enter..
set AllowAllPaths = true
Allows file copying to removable media like floppy disks. Enter..
set AllowRemovableMedia = true
Alows wildcards in commands like "dir" and "del". Enter..
set AllowWildCards = true
Allow file copying without being prompted to continue when you are overwriting an existing file. Enter..
set NoCopyPrompt = true
Note: For the four commands above,..
- There must be a space before and after the "equals" sign.
- The commands are not case-sensitive.